Preussen.de  
 
   
Today Family History
 
 

Foundation of Prussian Palaces and Gardens (Stiftung Preussische Schlösser und Gärten Berlin-Brandenburg)

 
  Between the 17th and early 20th century, magnificent palaces and gardens were developed in the Prussian residences in Berlin and Potsdam. In 1990 these were included in the UNESCO list of world heritage sites.

The Prussian palaces and gardens became the property of the state in 1918 and were made accessible to the public as museums. In 1927 the Prussian palace administration department was created. Since early 1995, the administration of the palaces in Potsdam and Berlin have been reunited in the joint “Stiftung Preussische Schloesser und Gaerten Berlin-Brandenburg” or SPSG (Foundation for Prussian Palaces and Gardens in Berlin-Brandenburg). After 40 years of separation, this has created the possibility of a comprehensive concept, illustrating the whole breadth and wealth of the artistic development in Brandenburg-Prussia.

Currently the SPSG is responsible for the management of roughly 300 buildings and over 700 hectares of gardens, as well as conducting scientific and restoration work. 32 houses in Berlin and Brandenburg are regularly open to the public. This wealth of art and cultural history is maintained by the SPSG, who carry out restoration works, oversee the scientific aspect and make it accessible to the public. Apart from their cultural significance, these houses are also places of historical significance. The ‘Potsdam Conference’ for example took place in the palace Cecilienhof in 1945.

Prof. Dr. Hartmut Dorgerloh

 

Stiftung Preussische Schlösser und Gärten Berlin-Brandenburg
Postfach 60 14 62
14414 Potsdam

Visitors' Center Potsdam Sanssouci
Historische Mühle (Historical Mill)
Phone: +49 (0) 331 / 9694-202
Fax: +49 (0) 331 / 9694-107
 
 
 
© 2007 House of Hohenzollern
 
Deutsch
Press
Newsletter
Contact
Imprint
Search
Shop
Foundation's Logo